Lifestyle Changes for Lupus Nephritis
Certain lifestyle habits can help protect the kidneys. People with lupus nephritis should do the following:
- Drink enough fluids to stay well hydrated.
- Eat a low-sodium diet, especially if hypertension is an issue.
- Eat a diet low in potassium, phosphorus, and protein if there is already loss of kidney function.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Limit cholesterol.
- Avoid medications that can affect the kidneys, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Although lupus nephritis is a serious problem, most people who receive treatment can expect to have a normal life span.